RE: MDA vs. Critical level for DOE Free Release surveys

Tom,

You're on the right course.  In a nutshell, never compare a sample result to

the MDA; always compare to the decision (critical level, DL or CL).  This is

the mantra of MARLAP and good health physics practice.  As Dan Strom put it:

"The MDA is really the 'if-it's-in-the-sample-you're-likely-to-detect-it"

level, while the DL is the

'if-you-got-a-result-above-this-it's-probably-real' level."  For the rest of

the story, see http://www.pnl.gov/bayesian/Strom/Stat-CEL-DJStrom.pdf

Cheers.

Rick Orthen

Sr. Project Manager