Re: AW: A "dirty bomb" question

In a message dated 10/27/2003 5:30:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,

franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT writes:

Since you address the comment of Ruth and since I have my own opinion of all

these scenarios of a "dirty bomb" - I regard it as an exclusive US political

question in order to raise or defend funds for the DHS - I would suggest to

"would-be terrorists" as the most cost-effective alternative, to explode a few

fire-crackers at some crowded places in the USA and at the same time informing

CNN that a dirty bomb was exploded. The panic caused by it would be equal to

the one caused by an explosion of a real dirty bomb. Perception is, what

obviously counts in the USA, not reality!!!!

I quite agree, this would probably be quite effective, which is why I think

the health agencies should be aggressively educating the public rather than

allowing them to stew in their misperceptions.

One only need reach back to February of this year to know how deadly panic

can be:

"The Feb. 17 stampede at the E2 nightclub [in Chicago, IL] began when an

irritant was used to break up a dance-floor fight and patrons fled for the doors,

crushing one another in their attempts to leave.  Twenty-one people died and

more than 50 were injured."

The irritant was simply that - irritating, not deadly, but for the panic it

caused.

Barbara