Industry need for HPs and Nuc Es

Radsafers,

It seems that the nuc industry is crying, but for a steady, flowing, stream

of 'cheap' staffers where they (the industry) can dip in and 'catch one or

two' on an as needed basis (sort of like a catch and release program).

The view from the industry perspective seems to be that there are not

enough *immediately* available Techs, HPs and Nuc Es,  to satisfy their

instant, short term needs, but the industry is still not willing to staff

up to a level that would support a larger personnel base.  Now since most

of us like something fairly permanent, there is a true mismatch in

expectations between the nuclear industry and the people who need extensive

training to work in it.

Hope this isn't too rambling, but to summarize, the nuclear industry

personnel philosophy seems to have evolved to holding a small permanent

staff with access to a large pool of temporary staff.  At the moment, the

employers can operate this way because the pool of temporary staff is still

fairly large due to early retirements,   But the pool will shrink and when

it does, the economics will change.   Until then, we do the best we can.

Thanx for letting me use the soap box.

My opinion only.  Any resemblance to reality or anything else is purely

coincidental.

john rich