RE: An HP Position is Open in Texas

> then quit complaining about money and save

> some people some real dose and come work for us.

I would like to share that one of the most vivid lessons I got from

living two years in Brasil is how much less the people have down there

materially, but how much happier they are overall than Americans. Sure,

every one of them would love to have more money. They dealt with an

**incredibly** onerous beurocracy (makes the DOE people look like

amateurs), a constantly changing (usually worsening) economy (when I

arrived, gas was about $0.75/liter, two years later around $1.70/liter -

yes per liter, not per gallon). Sometimes they did not get a salary for

2 or 3 months in a row because of an ongoing economic crisis. Yet they

managed to get by and were the most happy, fun loving people that I know

in the world. This is not entirely off topic (ahem, the list moderator

explains). If you measure your value to society only by the dollars that

you make, you will live with mostly negative feelings, because someone

of similar qualifications always will be making more. If you focus on

how much you enjoy your work, as Tom was explaining, and gravitate

towards the enjoyable people around you, you will have a great life. In

every phase of life, including work, your happiness is your

minute-by-minute CHOICE. The rewards I have received as an HP are

immeasurable. I love thinking about the science, I enjoy the great

people. Life is good.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068