Re: An HP Position is Open in Texas [License Reviewer,Medical andAcademicLicensing Program]

Thank you Barbara, Bruce and Bill.  After being in the private sector for

15 years I took a job with the Kansas radiation program at half my previous

salary.  My family was entrenched in Kansas and the benefits far outweighed

the cut in pay.  For example:

My oldest son just graduated from the University of Chicago and my daughter

is currently attending a private college in Minnesota.  Neither would have

gotten the financial aid packages that allowed them to attend these schools

on my old salary.

I didn't have to move my family half way across the country or spend my

life on the road away from my family.

I am home every night at a decent hour and the only 14 hour day I've spent

was driving to the OAS meeting in Chicago (I got stuck on the NW tollway

for three hours).

How many HP's get to work with:

Portable gauges

Industrial radiographers

Well loggers

Nuclear medicine

High and low dose rate afterloaders

Intravascular Brachytherapy

Teletherapy (Co-60 and accelerators)

Production cyclotrons

Irradiators

Research using both radioactive material and xray

Diagnostic and therapeutic xray

Decommissioning (anything from a small lab to a major thorium contaminated

factory)

Fetal dose reconstruction due to I-131 administration to a pregnant woman

Shielding calculations for all of the above

Actual overexposures that have serious health consequences

Just to name a few

Its true you won't get rich working for a State but if you want to obtain a

well rounded body of experience and a good work atmosphere then quit

complaining about money and save some people some real dose and come work

for us.  Kansas will have an inspector position posted soon.

Thomas A. Conley, RRPT, CHP

Section Chief, Radiation and Asbestos Control

email: tconley@kdhe.state.ks.us