RE: transportation event

The ammo can or box is not shielded, but the loaded

syringes and vials are in lead pigs.  The box has foam

inserts into which the lead pigs are placed so they do

not shift around.  The ammo cans are usually shipped

as a Radioactive White I or Radioactive Yellow II

label.

One issue we see is the package was obviously not

secured in the truck.

--- Doug Aitken <daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com>

wrote:

> At 01:13 PM 11/12/2003 -0800, John Jacobus wrote:

> >Every ammo can that I have every seen used

> indicates

> >it is a Type A package.

> As the requirements of a Type 7A package are

> adequate shielding and

> security, both of which characteristics should not

> be significantly lost

> (e.g shielding efficiency maintained to 80%, no loss

> of material) in the

> event of transport damage (assessed by the  drop

> test, water spray test,

> stacking test and penetration test), I don't see

> that an "ammo case" would

> be considered a Type 7A package without some

> shielding added. And (IMHO) a

> lose lead pig rattling around inside an ammo case

> would not meet the

> criteria for a type 7A package.

> Anyway, as Luke says, if we are talking exempt

> quantities, no need for type

> A packages.....

> . . .

=====

"Eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty and . . . you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."

Andrew Jackson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist