Re: transportation event

This arrangement is generally known as "scab shielding," i.e. shielding which is  not an integral part of the packaging.  I

generally avoid it, for two primary reasons:  (1) It often compromises package integrity.  2.  The shielding may fail within the

package, resulting in a dose rate increase.  With many radionuclides, the dose rate, not the quantity is the limiting condition

for an RQ shipment.

I remember a training class where a class exercise involved determining the maximum quantity of solid Co-60 that could be shipped

LQ.  The activity limit is 10.8 mCi.  With all of my usual diplomatic skills, I challenged the instructor to find a "strong tight"

package for that quantity of Co-60 which would meet the 0.5 mR/hr dose rate limit.  (The unshielded dose rate from a Co-60 point

source of 10.8 mCi is ~150 mR/hr at 1 foot.)

In a situation such as this, there's a great temptation to add shielding to the package to achieve dose rate compliance.  I would

generally avoid this.  Possible solutions:  use a bigger package, with the material securely centered in the package; use a

shielded package; or ship as NOS, rather than RQ.  I suspect that an ammo box is not an adequate package for material in a lead

pig, especially if it were dropped on a top corner.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com