Here she goes again ...

Colleagues ?

Article in the Finger Lakes (NY) Times ... URL =http://www.fltimes.com/Main.asp?SectionID=38&SubSectionID=121&ArticleID=2970

=====================

Clinton calls for air patrols over nuclear plants

By HOWIE MANSFIELD

Times Staff Writer

ONTARIO - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, a Democrat, is calling for combat air patrols over New York state's nuclear power plants, including the Ginna Power Plant in Wayne County.

A statement released by her office yesterday said Clinton wrote a letter to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge to ask for protection of the nuclear plants by regular patrols.

"I urge you to consider establishing regular combat air patrols over the Indian Point, Nine Mile and Ginna nuclear power plants in New York," Clinton wrote.

Her remarks came on the heels of FBI and Department of Homeland Security warnings of potential terrorist threats. Reports indicate that terrorists could be planning to hijack cargo jets in Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean and fly them into American nuclear power plants.

Ginna, owned by Rochester Gas & Electric, is in the northwestern Wayne County town of Ontario.

Rep. James Walsh, R-25 of Syracuse, said patrols had been executed in the past by the 174th Fighter Wing, based out of central New York, but that unit is depleted right now.

"The fighter wing is in Iraq," he said. "There isn't anyone here to fly those missions right now because we have limited assets. I just can't see them flying over Ginna. Maybe Sen. Clinton has some other groups in mind."

Rep. Sherwood Boehlert, R-24 of New Hartford, could not be reached for comment.

Clinton also asked whether recent air intercept drills, conducted by the Pentagon, included scenarios under which the potential target is one of the nation's nuclear power plants.

Her office has not yet heard back from Rumsfeld or Ridge.

hmansfield@fltimes.com

Jim Hardeman, Manager

Environmental Radiation Program

Environmental Protection Division