Re: 7th Grade School Project is Outrageous

The point of "waving my Ph. D." (sorry I wasn't clear) was that there are indeed things that I know, some of them from my own work, and I don't need to refer to the work of others. I think the parent can just go and tell the teacher that he or she (I have forgotten which) is wrong, and doesn't need citations.  By the way, I cannot recall an incident of this type that anything to do with nukes or even radioactivity.  One that I recall was that my daughter's 4th grade teacher marked a T/F question wrong in the belief that 85% of U. S. electricity was hydropower, when the actual percentage (this was 30 years ago) was about 20%.  This was something I knew from having prepared  material for a course I was teaching at the time.  Actually, I just told the teacher I was a professor.

But while we are on the topic, why should anyone be ashamed of knowing something?  even of being an expert? (note the absence of quotation marks).  I am indeed something of an expert on the risks of radioactive meterials transportation.  There are other experts on RADSAFE whose opinions I and others respect, and who don't need to cite references, at least as far as I am concerned.

I think false humility is worse.

ruth

--

Ruth F. Weiner