some comments from Mangano; all your postings; radsafe secret agents

Dear Radsfaers

Joe Mangano has no interest in gtting in any debates with you all; however, he did send me

this email with a few general points.

As to my responding to all the posts in the last day and a half on the TFP topic, it will be difficult as I only devote so much time to this and I'm away tomorrow for a meeting and much of the weekend for a family baby shower (whoopee - not). I also prefer to answer many posts in one, so that you all clog up the radsafe lists and not me. ;-)

The only posts I want to quickly comment on now are the ones where some of you want radsafers

to survey Brooklyn looking for TFP HQ. I shouldn't tell you this, but remember that anti-nukes

lurk on this list and love to keep a record of your silly statements or internal fighting. And this idea of radsafe secret agents was silly!

For the record & to save you all from going out and buying trenchcoats - as I understand it, RPHP (TFP)  is decentralized, with different people, many unpaid, doing work at different locations. Thus I do not believe that there's one mega-HQ with an RPHP/TFP sign on it. As the NY Times aticle pointed out, Mangano has a home office (as does poorly paid me), and works from it.

Will try to respond to more later; now its family time.

peace

norm

Norm:  As you recall, we covered these topics in Trenton in May, i.e.

(note - the Baldwin press conference)

- Counties closest to nuclear reactors had uniformly higher Sr-90 averages in

teeth than in other counties in the state (in New Jersey, Ocean and Monmouth

Counties were higher)

- Because Sr-90 averages have risen substantially in the 1990s in all areas

we studied, we know it must be a current source of Sr-90, not old bomb test

fallout. Other current sources include Chernobyl (only in late 1980s); research

reactors (small/dwindling in number, small in size); waste (not in food chain);

medical uses (no use for Sr-90).

- The "connection" with cancer is based thus far on the similar trends in

average SR-90 levels and childhood cancer rates, 4-5 years later.  We found this

in Suffolk County, Westchester County, Ocean/Monmouth Counties, and the three

PA counties near Limerick.

- The next attempt at exploring a connection is through comparing average

Sr-90 levels in children with and without cancer.

And, as I've said many times, there is no unexposed control to Sr-90 from

reactors, because of the wide distribution of food and water.

Hope this helps, JOe

--

Coalition for Peace and Justice (http://www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org); and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign (http://www.unplugsalem.org); 321 Barr Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8583/37; ncohen12@comcast.net. The Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action (http://www.peace-action.org). "You can say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" (Lennon). "Don't be late for your life" (Mary Chapin Carpenter).