From: Carol Marcus [mailto:csmarcus@ucla.edu]

Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 7:12 PM

To: knwachter@juno.com; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: detecting medical isotopes at airport security

At 12:46 PM 11/21/2003, knwachter@juno.com wrote:

>Does anyone know of incidents where residual medical isotopes in a

>traveller's body set off radiation monitors at an airport?  A cardiologist

>mentioned to me that he had heard of Tl-201 a day or two after a cardiac

>scan tripping alarms at some airports.  Just curious.

>knwachter@juno.com

Dear Radsafers:

I know that it has happened in the New York City subways recently and in

government buildings in Washington, D.C. for years.   I know it has

happened at the Athens Airport, some years ago.  I don't know if it has

happened at US airports, but it should!  I understand that the scientists

manning the DOE TRIAGE Program have gotten very good at spotting the

spectra of radionuclides used in nuclear medicine.  I really think that

patients who receive radiopharmaceuticals should be given a card the size

of a credit card to carry in their wallet for a few weeks, and that the

card contains all the relevant information and a number to call to

check.  However, I guess that would now be a HIPAA violation!

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>