RE: detecting medical isotopes at airport security

At 05:35 AM 11/24/2003, Thompson, Donald L. wrote:

>In regard to cards to identify nuclear medicine patients, it does not work

>for cochlear implant patients.  Airport personnel will not even look at the

>card when you offer it.

>Donald L. Thompson, PhD

>Center for Devices and

>Radiological Health, FDA

>Dear Don et al.:

At least by having patients produce some facts, those who monitor may

streamline their checking system, such as calling the nuclear medicine

service and verifying the procedure.

Some years ago, I was asked to get some spectra from patients with

radiopharmaceuticals in their bodies for use by a DOE laboratory that was

trying to separate those carrying radionuclides from those in whom it was

internalized.  It was a "secret" project and I didn't have a clearance at

the time, so I just collected the data and turned it over, no questions

asked.  No funds exchanged hands, and I never found out what happened to

the research.  If the guys on the DOE end of the TRIAGE program can spot

internalized gamma emitters from external ones (assuming the detectors are

sensitive enough to pick up the subtle shifts), maybe there will be less of

a problem eventually.

Ciao, Carol