RE: Making it real

Dear Dr. Ted Rockwell:

As I heartedly intend the health effects of radiation experienced from the

Co-60 incidents would benefit the entire humanity, I like to give you some

my thought based  as a suggestion to you for dealing with the disconnect

between the health effects of low-dose radiation and the radiation

protection. In case you will suggest a new design to the nuclear submarine

radiation protection, you might have something new, if you believe in what I

talk here.

The high-dose acute radiation from atomic bomb explosion surely could casual

people and increase the cancer mortality, especially the leukemia. But the

low-dose acute radiation< 200 mSv is harmless, even beneficial to people as

observed by Dr Sohei Kondo who whole life studied the biological casualty of

the atomic survivors, and the RERF report itself also reveled the same

facts. So that the LNT model is appropriate only for high dose acute

radiation, not appropriate to low-dose, that might be beneficial in reverse.

The radiation from the peaceful use of nuclear energy received slowly in a

long period of time, is characteristically classified as chronic radiation.

The acute radiation should be more harmful than the chronic radiation.

physiologically and pathologically, So that the chronic radiation dose <200

mSv should be more beneficial than the same dose of acute radiation. There

are so many epidemiological investigations indicated the public lining in

the high natural background areas, in high concentration radon districts had

lower cancer mortality, and the nuclear energy workers who receives a little

higher chronic radiation doses, have more lower cancer mortality. Only those

chronic radiation doses are still not high enough to show an obvious and

refutable result. Incidentally an incredible incident serendipitously

occurred in Taiwan, the chronic doses were much higher received and

accumulated to high-dose level among the affected cohort. Their cancer

mortality reduced sharply to the cohort as immunized by a vaccine. So that

in the 1999 ANS annual meeting, I stressed the chronic radiation from

nuclear energy was always beneficial to humanity and might be effective for

immune of the most miserable sickness-cancers. The chronic radiation might

have many health benefits. I investigated only the cancers reduction, In

2003 HPS annual, I mentioned also the hereditary malfunctions could be

effective reduced.

But there is an important exception. How are the health effects of radiation

from a nuclear accident? The accident releases high radioactive fission

products from the melted or damaged fuel rods in the reactor. The

radioactive products are mostly  contain in the reactor containment, the

workers would still receive low-dose chronic radiation, and would not harmed

but benefited. The gaseous and vaporized could often be discharged to the

environment. But after they are highly diluted in large volume and decayed

for hours and days, they would also turn to be low-dose chronic radiation

and also beneficial to public. This was the possible case of Three Mile

Island usual accident of the American type reactor. But the Chernobyl

reactor accident was different. The explosion of the reactor vessel cause

the high radioactive products rapidly released to the reactor hall, the

operators and fire fighters exposed to the high dose radiation was quite

like the acute radiation exposed to the atomic bomb survivors. 31 persons

were died in the accident and hundred of them might have higher cancer

mortality in the future. But when the radioactive vaporized and gaseous

isotopes deposited on the ground, only chronic radiation exposed to the

public, only beneficial effects induced to them. The 200,000 emergency

recovery and decontamination workers in Russia was a good cohort for follow

up their health condition. The international radiation scientists of the

IAEA and UNSCEAR did not observe the 150 excess leukemia deaths in ten years

after the accident based on the LNT predication, actually the cancer deaths

of the workers were smaller than the spontaneous deaths number, though it

was considered might attribute to ¡§ healthy workers effects and the better

care of the workers.¡¨ A nuclear accident could cause a property loss, but

not a serious public hazard.

I wish my viewpoints will help friends to have more thought on radiation has

much beneficial biological effects and will have more medical application!..

Sincerely yours

Y. C. Luan