Re: Radon profiles in the ground/soil

Hi all:

My recollection is from readings of the literature over two decades ago,

that the radon concentration in soil gas "at depth" is anything but in

equilibrium with the radium at the same depth. Just as radon in ground

water can be 1,000,000 pCi/L of water while the radium-226 level might be

only a few pCi/L, radon in soil gases can be very elevated. I'd contact the

DOE's Environmental Measurements Lab [EML] in NYCity [the former HASL lab]

which used to have a radon studies group which performed numerous

environmental studies of radon emanation and pathways in the late 60s and

1970s related to mill tailings disposal in the West.

Stewart Farber

203 367-0791

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:27:51 +1100, Sonter Mark <sonterm@epa.nsw.gov.au>