RE: federal government begins installing radiation detection devices

An old rule of thumb for equipment at NPPs was to use a factor of 2.    You

could approximate the installed cost as being roughly twice the cost of the

hardware as delivered on site.    So a rough figure could be that each

monitor costs about $140,000 delivered at the site.   (That included

manuals, QA, shipping, and all hardware, but excluded vendor on-site

activities.)       It might not be unreasonable.  It's not clear how

sophisticated this package needs to be to cope with variable backgrounds,

variable geometries, and a variety of sources.  This might be a good issue

for the instrument types to weigh in on.

As usual, my opinion only.

John Rich

john.rich@sargentlundy.com

                      "Marco Caceci"

                      <chemitech@chemitech.c        To:       "'Dimiter Popoff'" <tgi@cit.bg>, <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

                      om>                           cc:       <HomelandSecurity@yahoogroups.com>

                      Sent by:                      Subject:  RE: federal government begins installing radiation detection devices

                      owner-radsafe@list.van

                      derbilt.edu

                      12/22/03 01:58 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Marco Caceci"

Dimiter:

it's the reverse ten percent rule to the square:

I sell them for 2800.

The guy who installs them gets 28000 (I was told that is 10%, or at

least 100 x 10)

The guy who moves the papers gets to charge 280000, much consulting is

involved

(I do discounts for >=10 units)

Marco

http://radal.com