Re: Nuclear Medicine Patients and Homeland Security

The purpose of the 10 CFR 35.75 instructions is to keep the dose to

other individuals ALARA.  Let me quote:  "... A licensee shall provide

the released individual, or the individual's parent or guardian, with

instructions, including written instructions, on actions recommended to

maintain doses to other individuals as low as is reasonably

achievable..."

Hence, it is NOT acceptable for the patient to disregard the

instructions, even if the dose to another person stays below 500 mrem,

if the patient's actions cause dose greater than ALARA.  This IS a NRC

issue.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton