Re: Head injury X-rays may actually be causing harm

Ruth,

I agree with your comments.  High doses in therapies

should not be compared to those from diagnostic doses.

 In addition, there is the risk vs. benefits of

performing head CT exams following such things as

automobile accidents.  The risks of a child will die

from head trauma far outweight the risk of mental

retardation in the future.  That is why head CT exams

are such an import tool in medical evaluations of

accidents.

--- RuthWeiner@AOL.COM wrote:

> The article jumps from x-rays for minor head

> injuries to treatment of

> hemangiomas with x-rays.  However, the latter takes

> repeated treatments, resulting in

> a larger cumulative dose.  I believe it has been

> known for a long time that

> treatment with x-rays of problems on the head, face,

> and neck  (head lice used

> to be treated this way many many years ago) can

> result in cancer.  I suspect

> the deliberate confusion of one x-ray (for skull

> damage) with extended x-ray

> treatment (for hemangioma).

> Ruth

> Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.

> ruthweiner@aol.com

=====

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist