Re: Pathological Epidemiology (was "I spent 10 years in radiation data and emerged as the foremost expert ...")

 Bill Gaffey introduced confidence intervals with the statement,

"The more certain you want to be, be less specific."

Scientists strive to be usefully specific, but politicians look at the

effect they want, then stretch confidence limits.

There are too many "scientists" now who use the political method to get

grants for research with predetermined goals. Linus Pauling  did this,

believing vitamin C in large dose (2000 mgm/d) lessened cancer risk. When

Arthur Robinson, cofounder of the Pauling institute, proved the opposite,

and that cancer was just 1/10 the frequency and growth rate when mice were

semi-starved, Pauling destoyed the vast evidence. The fascinating detail is

in Robinson's Access to Energy newsletter for Nov '03, Box 1250 Cave

Junction OR 97523 or www.OISM.org

Howard Long