Re: 'Dirty Bomb' Was Major New Year's Worry

Do not underestimate their instrumentation.  They are designed to look for

weapons not radiographers, and I would not expect radiographers to be

congregating in public areas with their sources.  In any event, if they

detected a radiography source it would (hopefully) be accompanied by a

person authorized to be in possession of it so it would not show up as an

anomalous event.

At 11:06 PM 1/7/04, you wrote:

>I saw some of the detectors on the TV and they didn't appear very

>sophisticated.

>If they were really digging for radioactivity hot spots, how did they miss

>all the radiographers who carry large cobalt and Iridium sources to and

>from pipeline and refinery sites in the Houston area.

Kim Merritt

Radiation/Laser Safety Officer

HazMed, Inc.

NASA Langley Research Center

Hampton, VA

(757)864-3210

<mailto:k.merritt@larc.nasa.gov>

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed herein are my own and do not

necessarily state or reflect those of NASA or the United States Government,

nor do they represent the official position of NASA.