RE: 'Dirty Bomb' Was Major New Year's Worry

Classified? Well that is an interesting word...it might

have meaning with some of us, but in DC I just

laugh.....However there is plenty on public record. Its

when we start talking about defeating a system that my

ears perk up.......Gerry Blackwood

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:55:50 -0800, John R Johnson

wrote:

All

How

can Science and Technology by classified? All the

information is in libraries

and on web sites.

 _________________John

R Johnson, Ph.D.*****President, IDIAS, Inc4535 West

9-Th

AveVancouver B. C.V6R 2E2(604)

222-9840idias@interchange.ubc.ca*****or most

morningsConsultant

in Radiation ProtectionTRIUMF4004 Wesbrook

MallVancouver B.

C.V6R 2E2(604) 222-1047 Ext. 6610Fax: (604)

222-7309johnsjr@triumf.ca

  -----Original Message-----From:

  owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

  [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]On Behalf

Of Raymond A

  HooverSent: January 8, 2004 2:38 PMTo: Dimiter

Popoff;

  radsafe@list.vanderbilt.eduSubject: Re: 'Dirty Bomb'

Was Major New

  Year's Worry

  Actually, I think you guys are bordering on

classified information

  here.  What the instrumentation could do was

classified when I was in

  NEST.Dimiter Popoff <k.merritt@larc.nasa.gov>

  wrote:

  Having

    both detectors will indeed allow separation of

neutrons

    andgamma.Resolution of the scintillation detectors

is nowhere near

    to what isneeded to make a qualitative assessment

of the gamma

    source.It may be because I have been designing

various

    top-performancehigh resolution spectroscopy devices

for quite some time

    now I justcannot think of a scintillation based

device as of

    something"highly sensitive". Which does not mean it

is not good

    enough,it depends on what quantities they are after

and how much

    noisethey get from various sources they are not

interested

in.Dimiter--------------------------------------------------------------------Dimiter

    PopoffTransgalactic Instruments, Gourko Str. 25 b,

1000 Sofia,

    Bulgariahttp://transgalactic.freeyellow.com> From:

    "Morgan, Ben" > To: "'Dimiter Popoff'"

    , radsafe@list.Vanderbilt.Edu> Subject: RE:

    'Dirty Bomb' Was Major New Year's Worry> Date: Thu,

    11:11:42 -0500 > > Dimiter:> Here are the

description

    and specifications for a device available> from

Thermo Electron.

    www.thermo.com/rmp > Regards,> > Ben> >

    ben.morgan@pgnmail.com> > The PM1401GN pocket-sized

instrument

    is designed as a highly sensitive> measurement

device that may be

    conveniently worn on a belt to provide> warning of

rising levels of

    gamma and neutron radiation. These units> are

typically used to

    search for, detect and locate radioactive

materials> in a variety of

    situations. They also provide an excellent tool

for> extending

    stationary monitoring systems to expand the

surveillance > or to

    verify alarms of such systems and locate the

offendi! ng item(s).>

    Compared to the smaller pager size devices, the

larger pocket-size >

    PM1401GN offers enhanced sensitivity thereby

increasing the chance >

    of detection. Another key feature provided is early

warning

    capability> and audible annunciation. > >

    Detectors> > The PM1401GN utilizes two separate

detectors, one

    for gamma and another> for neutrons. A CsI(TL)

scintillation detector

    senses gamma emitting radioactive> materials with

energies between

    .06 and 3.0 MeV with a useful detection> range of

0.05 to 40 5Sv/h (5

    to 40 5R/h). The neutron detector is a 3He> counter

tube sensitive to

    neutrons between thermal and 14 MeV. > > Controls>

    > A single push-button provides access to all the

necessary functions

    of> this user-friendly design. A second button

lights the display for

    use > in dark ambient conditions. These detection

devices include an

    integral&g! t; vibrator which may be set by the

user to activate any

    time an alarm setpoint> is exceeded. > > PM1401GN

    Specifications> Gamma Detector: CsI (Tl)

scintillator.>

    Measurement Range: 0.05 to 40 5Sv/h (5 - 4000

5R/h). Equivalent dose rate

    137Cs.> Energy Range: 0.06 to 3.0 MeV.> > Neutron

    Detector: > 3He Counter tube with mixture of 3He (8

atmospheres) and

    argon (2 atmospheres)> Energy Range: Thermal to 14

MeV.>

    > General> Measurement Time: 0.25 seconds.>

Detection

    Sources: Meets ITRAP (Illicit Trafficking Radiation

Detection Assessment

    Program).> Alarm Types: Audio tone and/or

vibration.> Power

    Requirements: One AA size battery. Life expectancy

is approximately 600

    hours.> PC Communications: IR-interface.> Data

Collection: 900

    data points stored in non-volatile memory.>

Operating Temperature:

    -300 to +500 C (-220 to +1220 F).> Water

Tightness:! IP67 (optional

    water resistance to 20 meters)> Drop Test: 0.7 m

(27.5 inches) onto

    concrete surface.> Dimensions: 97 x 57 x 32 mm (3.8

x 2.2 x 1.2

    inches). Not including clip.> Weight: 365 g (12.9

oz). Including

    battery.> > -----Original Message-----> From:

Dimiter

    Popoff [mailto:k.merritt@larc.nasa.gov] > Sent:

Thursday, January 08,

    2004 10:05 AM> To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Subject: Re:

    'Dirty Bomb' Was Major New Year's Worry> > > Do you

    actually know what their instrumentation is or is

this just another summary

    of the kind "it is OK because it just has > >

Dimiter>

Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu Put the>

    text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

body of the

    e-mail,> with! no subject line. You can view the

Radsafe archives

    at> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/>

    radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the

e-mail,with no subject

    line. You can view the Radsafe archives

    athttp://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

  Do you Yahoo!?Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter