Badges for surgery

We issue monthly badges to radiologic technologists who work in Surgery and

also to radiation oncologists and urologists who do prostate seed implants.

Other surgery personnel are not badged, based on years of previous

monitoring records which show that they receive minimal readings.  If new

types of procedures involving higher fluoroscopy workload will be done,

however, we will badge pertinent personnel for a test period of 1-2

quarters.

I believe that much of the badging that is done in hospitals is for

liability issues or because of  the perception of risk rather than because

there is a real risk to personnel.  This does not mean, however, that those

are not valid reasons for badging personnel.

MEJ

Mary Ellen Jafari, M.S., DABR

Diagnostic Physicist/RSO

Gundersen Lutheran Health Systems