Re: Badges for surgery

In the "good old days," a nonlicensed person was not cited by the NRC.  Only his licensed employer was held accountable.  That's changed.  NRC enforcement policy now holds nonlicensed individuals accountable for compliance with regulations.  Thus, a

surgeon who handles NRC licensed material and does not comply with monitoring requirements, i.e. wearing his dosimeter properly and changing it out on schedule, can be individually cited by the NRC, in addition to any citation for the licensee.

This citation, especially if the action was determined to be "willful," could cause the individual to be fined or prohibited from involvement in licensed activities.

Anyone who doubts that the NRC would do this should go to:

http://www.nrc.gov/what-we-do/regulatory/enforcement/current.html#individual

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton