Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM

Jan. 12

	Bill Lipton wrote:

	"I remember a new fuel shipment, c.a. 1995, which had a head on collision

with a drunk driver on I-91, in downtown Springfield, MA.  There was a

potential for the equivalent of a 'dirty bomb,' since the Type A packages

containing the fuel were not designed or tested to survive an accident and

fire.  Fortunately, they held up."

	Tell us this Bill:  what if that head on collision had been with a truck

loaded with propane, or with 8000 gallons of gasoline?  Can you imagine the

carnage?

	Second, it is possible to design containers for fuel or TRU waste that

will withstand collisions with railroad locomotives.  Is it practical or

even possible to design a container for 8000 gallons of gasoline that could

survive being hit by a train?  (And let's not even think about train wrecks

with tank cars of chlorine and anhydrous ammonia . . .)

Steven Dapra

sjd@swcp.com