Anti-nuclear long range goals

Jan. 16

	The attempt to suppress shipments of WIPP wastes through Albuquerque is

not part of a "vast conspiracy" against WIPP or against the nuclear

industry.  I would call it part of a well-coordinated "ad hoc" and

opportunistic campaign to harass, damage, and ultimately destroy the

nuclear industry.

	I attended a brief lecture once by an intransigent opponent of food

irradiation, and part of her routine went something like this.  She began

by saying that Cs-137 is a byproduct of power reactors, and that it is

difficult to store and manage, and doing so was expensive.  But, food

irradiators could use Cs-137 in their plants, so now reactors operators

could sell their Cs-137 instead of it being a dead loss.  Second but:  if

food irradiation could be shut down the reactors would be stuck again with

Cs-137, and if they couldn't find some reasonably priced way to get rid of

it or manage it eventually the stuff would become so expensive the

operators would have to shut down their reactors because they would be

awash in Cs-137.

	In the short term the anti-irradiation speaker peddled all the hackneyed

'health and food safety' reasons to oppose irradiation.  In the long term

she was opposed to irradiation because it was a roundabout way of attacking

the nuclear industry via reactors.

	You have to give the anti-nukers credit for some things, and one of them

is their ability to set long range goals and to fit all their short range

goals into their plans to attain their long range goals.

	Another of their long range goals is to attack and probably destroy the

Department of Energy.  I have an example of one part of this goal that is

being pursued through the attack on WIPP and will post it in a day or two.

(If I forget, someone please remind me.)

Steven Dapra

sjd@swcp.com