RE: OSHA & Radiation (was: Badges for surgery)

I can tell that you never worked with medical people.

They will work together for a common goal, but only

when hit on the head to get their attention.

--- Steven Dapra <sjd@swcp.com> wrote:

> Jan. 16

> 	Mike Sinclair described preparing a medical for rad

> training, and wrote

> (in part):

> 	"Among the things we learned early on were that

> misinformation among EMS

> and ER staff about radiation hazards was rampant,

> and that those in

> emergency medicine and their counterparts in

> radiology and nuclear medicine

> weren't communicating. (At one large Chicago area

> hospital, I insisted that

> the ED supervisor and the head of Nuclear Medicine

> be invited to the

> in-service.  They had never met.)"

> 	What is the "ED" supervisor?  Was this supposed to

> be "ER" -- Emergency Room?

> 	  This points up the need for an inter-disciplinary

> approach and better

> cooperation.  Hospital administration should require

> supervisors and

> department heads to meet for (perhaps) quarterly or

> semi-annual meetings to

> discuss problems with each other's departments, and

> in their own

> departments, and ways of solving these problems.

> These meetings should be

> run by a strong-willed administrator who can and

> will concentrate on

> ascertaining the bases of conflicts and finding

> solutions.

> 	The inter-disciplinary approach has a lot to offer;

> and it would be

> salutary to meet those "ogres and so-and-sos from up

> the hall" who you

> think (perhaps incorrectly) are causing you so many

> problems.  They might

> turn out to be rather pleasant, cooperative, and

> helpful persons after all

> and in addition to solving a problem or two you

> might wind up with a tennis

> or golf partner.

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist