Re: Shipping of spent Tc generators

I think there is some confusion as to what you mean by

"spent" generator.  The Mo/Tc generator is not kept

until it decays to background levels, but is returned

when the concentration of Tc-99m is not too low to

use.  We get a 7.5 Ci generator every week and return

it after 2 weeks.  With a half life of 66 hours, it is

certainly still radioactive.  And there are no

contaminants in the generator, just the decay products

of Tc-99m and Tc-99.

--- William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM> wrote:

> I agree with you in not understanding why a spent

> generator has to be

> shipped as radioactive material, unless there has

> not been enough time

> for the Mo-99 to decay;  ~ 30 days.  Is there some

> long-lived

> contaminant there in sufficient quantities?

> Nevertheless, my previous concerns regarding

> training would also be

> relevant for your supplier.  Having to ask you such

> basic questions

> indicates that they are not qualified to make the

> shipment.  In any

> event, whomever ships this should have access to the

> required

> regulations.  My guess is that ICAO (IATA)

> regulations will apply.

> The opinions expressed are strictly mine.

> It's not about dose, it's about trust.

> Curies forever.

> Bill Lipton

> liptonw@dteenergy.com

> Malek Chatila wrote:

> > Dear William,

> > <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

> > "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

> > Thank you for kind reply.Please note the

> following:

> >   1. I definitely agree with you that the person

> who is going to

> >      perform a task must be competent; otherwise

> he should not perform

> >      it, or more importantly, be allowed to

> perform it.

> >   2. I am not the one who is doing the shipping;

> our local supplier is

> >      going to do it. I was chitchatting over the

> phone with the

> >      supplier when he informed me of the issue.

> >   3. As I have mentioned in my e-mail, I am on

> vacation and I did not

> >      have access to any of my references.

> > Any way, your point is well taken.Next time, if I

> have a question that

> > pertains to what really should be discussed on

> radsafe, I will

> > definitely take the time to explain the issue at

> hand better.

> > Sincerely,

> > Malek Chatila, PhD.

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist