Re: Shipping of spent Tc generators

Someone's probably going to turn a flamethrower on me, but I've been an HP

too long to not have asbestos embedded in my clothing, skin, etc.

  BUT..., so what's instruction?  Mine consisted of my boss at the time

saying "here's 49 CFR, read it, figure it out, and do it right".  It was

painful (for me) but 49 CFR DOES tell you what and how to do it. It took me

the better part of a couple of days to figure it out, but I did. I double

checked with the HP that worked for the transportation company (who I'm

forever indebted to, and will remain nameless so others don't run to him

all the time - you know who you are! thanks again) but I shipped materials

successfully hundreds of times, and did an honest job of it too.

I know there are plenty of corollarys in the HP field for reading the books

and doing the right thing, but if you follow the regs,  what's the

issue?  Of course, if you screw up, stand by, but I'm tired of far

exceeding the intent of the regulations because of "someone's"

interpretation.  What's the instruction in my case?  Self-instruction.  My

employer was liable if I screwed up, but they were liable for the screw-up

anyway, no matter what my defense was.  I've been to a transportation class

since, and it was easier than working through things myself, but didn't

have any divine revelations either.

All that said, I'd rather not do numerous shipments of hazardous materials

without extensive formal training, there are too many sharks in the waters.

(Quite obviously) my own personal opinion, and not that of anyone or

anything else's.

Brian Rees