RE: 700 cancer cases caused by X-rays

As with the AJR article "reporting" excess cancers in pediatric patients

who may have received higher than necessary CT exposures, or other

publications that use LNT to hypothesize excess cancers from low level

radiation exposures, shouldn't such submissions be rejected during peer

review for violating the basic principle, taught in every sophomore

engineering class, of not extrapolating beyond the bounds of the

observed data? If I submitted an article to a journal saying I had

tested some detector over a given range, and then claimed that the

detector would surely work perfectly at a range two or three orders of

magnitude below my measurements, it would be rejected (at least that

claim would have to be removed). The use of LNT to set *policy* outside

of the range in which excess cancers can clearly be demonstrated is

necessary at present and reasonable. But its use to define *science*, in

peer-reviewed literature, seems much less defensible.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068