mrad readings

Radsafers,

I am working at an NRC licensed facility that references the Guidelines for Decontamination of Facilities and Equipment Prior to Release for Unrestricted Use or Termination of Licenses for Byproduct, Source, or Special Nuclear Material (April 1993)in their License.

My question is in regard to Table 1 of the referenced document. The typical release limits are promulgated for maximum and average contamination levels, however reference [f] (in fine print at the bottom) states, " The average and maximum radiation levels associated with surface contamination resulting from beta-gamma emitters should not exceed 0.2 mrad/hr at 1 cm and 1.0 mrad/hr at 1 cm, respectively, measured through not more than 7 milligrams per square centimeter of total absorber".

I am not aware of any portable instrumentation that meets the requirements of this statement.

I would be interested in methodology used by others to meet this requirement. I am aware that certain conclusions could be drawn based on surface contamination, isotopic energies and relative abundance and this is only a "guidance document". However, we are in a very strict verbatim compliance work atmosphere where my customer expects direct measurements that comply with the above referenced document. Due to the fact the April 1993 document is referenced in the License, it becomes by default, a License requirement.

Additionally, does anyone know why statement [f] is included in this document and not in Reg Guide 1.86?

Kevin D. Kosko RRPT

President

K2 Environmental Services LLC.

Phone:(937) 470-2655