RE: UNSCEAR distorts scientific info?

Dear RSH friends:

I do not know whether UNSCEAR tried to distort information, but UNSCEAR did

try to suppress certain information for supporting the LNT hypothesis just

as other radiation protection authorities did. As I still remember the facts

of the UNSCEAR moderator to harass me to present our paper about the

beneficial health effects of chronic radiation observed in the Taiwan Co-60

contamination incident in 1999 WONUC symposium, and the IRPA-10 refused to

accept our paper, but accept 10 other papers on the incident radiation

harmful to the contaminated residents, and the LANCET refused to peer review

our paper about radiation could benefit the residents, but publish 3 papers

about radiation could harm residents, I am deep sorry that I could not

refrain in expressing our personal feeing, but if our feeling are forgiven

and could make NSCEAR and other organizations to have open attitude to the

nuclear scientific information, the health effects of chronic radiation

might render tremendous benefits to humans.

I do not know the mechanism of thyroid cancer, and the hypothyroidism

treatment with I-131, but have also some information might be good for

reference. We have also follow-up whether the high accumulated doses

received by the irradiated resident in Taiwan have any harmful effects in

thyroid cancers. After the both reports of IAEA in one decade after

Chernobyl conference in 1996, and the 2000 UNSCEAR report to general

assembly had indicated no excess cancers to the workers observed, except

quite high thyroid cancers observed among the children, all the hospitals

and scientists in Taiwan paid particular attention to the thyroid cancer,

and had found 5 residents suffering thyroid abnormalities, included one

cancer. But we did not pay much attention to this situation, as the thyroid

cancer death in Taiwan is only a tiny risk to public. The total cancer

deaths recently in Taiwan were over 300,000 persons of 15 different cancer,

the thyroid cancer death was never listed in the 15 cancers. The 15th cancer

is usually brain or kidney cancer, and usually < 1% or < 100 persons. So

that the thyroid cancer mortality is hard to observe by epidemiological

statistics, it must be in few ten or few one. The cytogenetic studies did

show the big number of spontaneous cancer deaths of the residents reduced,

did not show tiny number of thyroid cancer decreased. Even the thyroid

cancer mortality could increase as UNSCEAR indicated in 2000 report, it

would be hard to observe in Taiwan, as there were only about 10,000

residents, their normal cancer deaths could be only more than 200 persons in

20 years, thyroid cancer could be only one or two. The big number of thyroid

cancer incidence among Russian children could be induced by high dose of

I-131 from fission products, but we doubt the Co-60 chronic radiation could

cause thyroid cancers. The big number of children thyroid cancer in Russian

was incidence, not death. We had asked the Russian correspondence author of

their studies on what was the difference of thyroid cancer deaths before and

after the Chernobyl accident, but no reply was given...

UNSCCEAR indicated the thyroid cancers in the patients with I-131 therapies

with I-131 elevated. We think it is possible, as the thyroid exposed to the

acute high dose radiation from I-131, just like the Japanese survivors

received high acute doses of gamma and neutron, and their leukemia deaths

greatly increased as the results obtained by the RERF group, and established

the LNT model for using as the basic radiation protection policy for the

nuclear industry until today. But based on RERF data, the acute radiation

harmless at least to 85% survivors, and even might be beneficial to them

according to Dr Kondo and others, yet the rest 15% of survivors received

high doses of the acute radiation had their leukemia deaths obviously

increased, though leukemia is also a low mortality cancer, but might much

higher than thyroid cancer. The radiation received in the peaceful use of

nuclear energy is similar to the radiation received by the residents living

the contaminated houses is chronic radiation which has different health

effects to humans, the higher dose received, even high up to high level will

benefit humans, and a proper high does could prevent the cancers as a

vaccine.     .       .

I wish my explanation could be helpful for your consideration of this issue!

In case you wish also to further care about the beneficial health effects of

chronic radiation, we would certainly appreciated.

Best regards

Y. C. Luan   Senior scientist of NuSTA and Consultant of NBC Society.