no diagrams of American NPPs in caves in Afghanistan

FYI.....

Jaro

http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/quebec.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NUCLEAR NEWS FLASHES - Friday, February 6, 2004

U.S. NEWS:

--GREENPEACE HAS PUT AN NRC COMMISSIONER ON THE SPOT OVER A WHITE HOUSE

claim in 2002 that "diagrams of American nuclear power plants" had been

found in caves in Afghanistan. In a Jan. 27 letter, Greenpeace nuclear

analyst James Riccio said he had been told NRC Commissioner Edward

McGaffigan had said President George W. Bush's speechwriters "got a little

carried away" by including the claim in the January 2002 State of the Union

address. Riccio said McGaffigan, during a closed Senate session on nuclear

security, reportedly said "there were no U.S. nuclear plant designs

discovered in Afghanistan." Riccio said, "If you know this to be true, I

believe that you have an obligation both to the public and the industry that

you serve to set the record straight." In a Feb. 4 reply, McGaffigan said he

did state during at "one or more closed Congressional hearings...that I was

aware of no evidence" that such diagrams had been found. But, McGaffigan

wrote, "I believe that based on the evidence available there is a general

credible threat by Al Qaeda toward American nuclear power plants." While

some evidence is public, he said, "The vast majority is appropriately

classified."