nuclear weapons

After working in Minute Man III missiles while in the air force, I know that

those warheads can be shipped in a small crate all together or even smaller

containers by alone. After the wall went down in Berlin the Soviet Union

lost track of some of their  nucs and we have not always known where all

ours are at any given time.  It would only take a small hand full of trained

people to over take a military convoy on the way to missile silo or site.

The bases are relatively small and their security police are not trained

well enough to withstand a real attempt at these sites or convoys.

I could tell you stories that would leave you dumbfounded at their stupidity

and their laziness.

The missiles that were deployed on the flatbed in Europe were even smaller

and could easily be transported and were easily transported from place to

place.  Security, from my point of view, only drew more attention to what

was going on, so leaving security behind was a better idea.  The training

that normal military recieve in the air force is a couple days, perhaps for

an hour or two on those days, at the range.  Some don't even qualify with a

weapon, and are just signed off on their cards.  I remember the first time I

handled a .38 in the air force I shot the ceiling of the range. They were

really upset by the paper work they would have to do about the hole in the

ceiling.  But this did not keep me from running the missile field as a

technician who did the electronics and targeting in the silos and the

capsule work.  I was simply signed off.. had passed their criteria.  What

kind of force could I have used with a handgun alone with a few bullets? no

clip on this weapon.  It was really a false sense of security.  If a small

group of "terrorists" had over taken our convey they would have gotten what

ever they wanted.  We were no match for high-tech automatic weapons.

Someone could have placed a device during a normal traffic stop on the

vehicle and blow it up on the way to the field.  Security?  It was not

really all that good in the 1980's.  I have no idea what they are doing

today, but I can imagine it cannot be much better.

I hate to say it, but military security is really lax and usually they don't

choose the most intelligent people for this duty.  Few are high quality,

thinkers.

I also know that the USA has consistently broke treaties that have detailed

the placement of nuclear warheads.  So even if we sign a treaty detailing

what is expected we never comply in completion, we do what ever we want and

when we get caught we make up lies or pretend it never happened or imprison

the whistleblower.

Our nucs are not that secure.  Perhaps we ought to worry about what we are

doing as well.  Somehow we never consider the breechs in our security and

how easy it could be for even an active military person to take home a

complete can of warheads with the help of  a few friends.  Not all active

duty military personnel are loyal to the oath.  Nor are all active duty

military people who they say they are.

--Sandy

just my experience and my opinion