RE: Al-Qaida may have nuclear weapons

"one-kiloton explosive yield, exploded at ground level.

This is easily exceeded by a ship loaded with multi-kilotons of

ANFO chemical explosive, and requires far less technical

know-how. Even a fleet of fuel trucks loaded with ANFO could

probably cause more devastation when distributed throughout a

city, than a single small nuclear bomb exploded at ground level."

Yup! I keep forgetting about that radiological effect of an ANFO

Bomb.

Gerry

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:43:00 -0500, "Jaro" wrote:

> Frank Helk wrote:

> The damage done by a nuclear weapon is - even while one of the

> most horrible

> threats - at most limited. A very big boom, much damage, and

> contamination

> of a more or less area.

> <snip>

> Good point.

> Particularly in the case of the so-called suitcase bombs, with

> fractional to

> one-kiloton explosive yield, exploded at ground level.

> This is easily exceeded by a ship loaded with multi-kilotons of

> ANFO

> chemical explosive, and requires far less technical know-how.

> Even a fleet of fuel trucks loaded with ANFO could probably

cause

> more

> devastation when distributed throughout a city, than a single

> small nuclear

> bomb exploded at ground level.

> Something to consider, when developing homeland defense

> strategies &

> detection techniques, IMHO.

>  Jaro

> http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/quebec.html