RE: Apparent Illegal Shipment

There are several generic exemptions that have been isssued by DOT for

these type situations.  for instance scrap metal can be returned to the

shipper is it alarms a radiation monitor as long as the reading is less

than 50 mr/hr and an exemption form is filled out.  The regulatory

authorities in the receiving state should also be notified.  I am

operating from memory on this since I havent done it in 6-7 years but it

is a very simple process and DOT granted the exemption since the hazard

is very low and it is not an uncommon occurance.

In my younger days I could have provided you with exemption numbers etc.

Marty Bourquin

W.R.Grace & Co

marty.bourquin@grace.com