Re: 15 or 25 mrem per year?

In a message dated 2/12/2004 7:03:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,

crispy_bird@yahoo.com writes:

While the NRC may (or may not) accept the LNT, their regulations are based on

ALARA, which says that costs to reduce exposures are to be weighted against

benefits gained.  I think that they represent two difference philosophies of

action.  Do others see it this way?

But, the only thing the public hears is there is "no safe level."  NRC does

not actually say that, but their acceptance of the LNT for regulatory purposes

is presented that way to the public and politicians.  It is dumbed down for

them, and placed in a neat little package:  "No Safe Level."  Any resort to

ALARA in a political forum results in cries of "their putting a price on our

children's lives!!!"  Nevermind that we do that every day, and, in fact, must do

that to function as a society.

Barbara