RE: " new reactor will make certain Australia remains at the forefron t of cancer treatments "

First of all, I will not get into the arguement of how

much should it cost to save a life.

But, I will add some comments to what you have

written.  "Diffuse" or non-solid cancers are indeed

difficult to treat.  However, some diffuse cancers

such as Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL)in children do

respond to chemotherapy very effectively.  Survival

from childhood leukemia has gone from zero to about

80%.  Maybe radiation is not the best treatment for

brain cancers.  Or even gene therapy.

http://www.mdanderson.org/diseases/braincancer/

Just because we can use radiation does not mean that

that is the best treatment option.

As you note, while 36,000 brain cancers are reported

every year, ". . .an estimated 169,400 new cases of

lung cancer and an estimated 154,900 deaths from lung

cancer will occur in the United States during 2002."

http://www.lungusa.org/diseases/lungcanc.html.  Given

some limits to spending medical dollars, which would

you choose?

I guess the thing that bothers you is why the US,

Canada and Australia do spend more on BNCT?  Is it

because one success requires more expenditures in

resources?  I think part of the issue is that the

research done in Argentina, the Czech Republic, Italy,

Finland, Sweden, etc., is that it is tied into their

physics programs, and is really not a true medical or

biomedical research program.  That is the way the

proton treatment at Harvard was run for years, and

some medical research programs in the US were

supported by the old Atomic Energy Commission and

Department of Energy.  It allows for money to be

allocated for the highly visible treatment of patients

as well as support other, non-medical programs.

I imagine that if BNCT shows more successes, it will

receive more research funding.  Currently, it is

cheaper to have patients go to research centers doin

BNCT that to build new centers.

-- "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj@aecl.ca> wrote:

> Thanks John.

> Please see reply below.

> Jaro

=====

"The care of human life and happiness . . . is the first and only legitimate object of good government."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist