Re: Nuclear Insecurity

On 17 Feb 2004 at 11:06, Gerry Blackwood wrote:

> The labs really took a beating on 60 Minutes Sunday night

I think any of us would be hard pressed to say anything positive

about the current security situation at many of our weapon's

facilities. How can anyone argue that security is adequate when a

facility is well aware of an impending drill, and still fails

miserably. In my opinion the individual who was in charge of the

security, and stated that everything was adequate, but adequacy was

not correlated to safety, should be fired, immediately. It is this

continuing culture within the DOE facilities, weapons facilities,

that has permeated for years, where the entire industry is looked

upon as being a "problem". I for one thought it was a good idea when

the NRC was being considered to regulate the DOE facilities, as it

does for the commercial power reactors. That would have facilitated a

clean-up. It never happened, and, we still see the same issues.

In conclusion, there is a problem, it is real, even if 60 Minutes

didn't get it "all" right, they were on target for the most part, and

they used the asinine statements of those in charge, to make their

point. We can not defend the egregious actions taken, or not taken,

by those who are tasked with our safety. Heads need to roll, if the

industry is ever to regain any public confidence.

------------------------------------

Sandy Perle

Vice President, Technical Operations

Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.

3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sperle@globaldosimetry.com

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/