Re: Radioisotope Efficiencies

Jim is correct in his question.

As I thought I briefly mentioned in my original email/post, these were MY

efficiencies under somewhat ideal conditions.

The type (size and composition) of vial, the manufacture/type and amount of

scintillation fluid (in the vial(s)), counting times, color/chemical

quenching, background and how you deal with background

(refrigeration/background subtract), how long its been since your PM

service (you don't want any dust on the PMT tube faces), what your counting

windows are set at/for, what formula you use for MDA/LLD, etc., etc., etc.

ALL these parameters (and some I haven't thought of while writing this)

make a difference on what efficiency YOU and YOU're machine will get/arrive

at with the various/sundry radioisotopes I listed.

Just like they say in the advertisements... "your results may vary"....  I

was just giving you an example of what YOU should expect on YOUR machine if

everything (your prep and the machine) are in top working order.

Please don't nail me to a cross here - I was just trying to be

helpful.  There are people on RADSAFE who are MUCH more knowledgeable about

LSC's than I am.

I don't think that you'll be able to find this information in the

literature (either in a library or on-line) anywhere else..  Take it (and

use it as a benchmark/reference) or leave it...

...Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)

     SSC-SD...