AW: Article: Radiation in Water Stumps Experts

Edmond,

Nice to hear from you again! I know about the US drinking water regulations,

but my comment was directed toward Berry's comment on the topic of the

elevated gross-alpha values for drinking water, which he attributed to the

presence of radon, but the methods for gross measurements I know would

eliminate any radon before the measurement. So radon cannot be the reason.

You and other RADSAFErs might be interested to know, that the European Union

has excluded radon and its daughter products explicitely for the

determination of the so-called "Indicative Dose" in the Drinking Water

Directive. But since member states are free to issue their own legislation,

Finland and Sweden have installed legislation (not recommendations!!!),

establishing a so-called "lower intervention level" for radon, which implies

that below this level no action is considered necessary. In Sweden it is 100

Bq/l, in Finland 300 Bq/l. The "upper intervention level" is defined as the

level above which action is regarded necessary to reduce the level. It is in

both countries 1000 Bq/l. Between lower and upper intervention level it has

to be carefully considered, whether remediation should be done, taking into

consideration costs, other possible harmful constituents of the drinking

water, consumption rates etc. I personally believe that this is a

responsible approach to this potential problem.

Best regards,

Franz