Re: 'Sound Science'? Bush closer than big government promoters.

I have, and am still not impressed.  Sorry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13994-2004Feb27.html

> [...]

> > > agencies such as the Environmental Protection

> Agency

> > > (EPA).

> > > It all sounds noble enough, but the phrases

> "sound

> > > science" and "peer review" don't necessarily

> mean

> > > what

> > > you might think. Instead, they're part of a

> lexicon

> > > used to put a pro-science veneer on policies

> that

> > > most

> > > of the scientific community itself tends to be

> up in

> > > arms about. In this Orwellian vocabulary, "peer

> > > review" isn't simply an evaluation by learned

> > > colleagues. Instead, it appears to mean an

> > > industry-friendly plan to require such

> exhaustive

> > > analysis that federal agencies could have a hard

> > > time

> > > taking prompt action to protect public health

> and

> > > the

> > > environment. And "sound science" can mean, well,

> > > not-so-sound science.

> > > Dig into the origins of the phrase "sound

> science"

> > > as

> > > a slogan in policy disputes, and its double

> meaning

> > > becomes clearer. That use of the term goes back

> to a

> > > campaign waged by the tobacco industry to

> undermine

> > > the indisputable connection between smoking and

> > > disease. Industry documents released as a result

> of

> > > tobacco litigation show that in 1993 Philip

> Morris

> > > and

> > > its public relations firm, APCO Associates,

> created

> > > nonprofit front group called The Advancement of

> > > Sound

> > > Science Coalition (TASSC) to fight against the

> > > regulation of cigarettes. To mask its true

> purpose,

> > > TASSC assembled a range of anti-regulatory

> interests

> > > under one umbrella. The group also challenged

> the

> > > now

> > > widely accepted notion that secondhand smoke

> poses

> > > health risks.

> > > Since then, other industry groups have invoked

> > > "sound

> > > science" to ease government restrictions. In

> 1996,

> > > Jerry J. Jasinowski, president of the National

> > > Association of Manufacturers, said GOP

> presidential

> > > candidate Bob Dole's "emphasis on sound science,

> the

> > > need to apply cost-benefit analyses and finding

> some

> > > way to enforce common sense in the regulatory

> > > process

> > > are most important to the business community."

=== message truncated ===

=====

"The care of human life and happiness . . . is the first and only legitimate object of good government."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist