AW: Information on U and Th in Tin Slag

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von

Anagnostopoulos, Harry W.

Gesendet: Montag, 01. März 2004 17:14

An: Radsafe (E-mail)

Betreff: Information on U and Th in Tin Slag

Radsafers;

I'm looking for information on the relative concentrations of Th-232 and

U-238 in Tin Slag and Columbite-Tantilum ores. An internet search has come

up blank. There have been several CERCLA actions on C-T ore processing

facilities that might yeild some information (one might be the Elkem Metals

Co. in Marietta, OH). Has anyone got access to the data from one of these

sites?

---------------------------------

Harry,

Your question is really a complex one. No single ore will show exactly the

same composition regarding U-238 and Th-232 or other radionuclides, which

might be of importance when it comes to radiation protection.

Regarding tin slag I remember a presentation at the TNORM conference a few

years ago in Munich. There was a Dutch (Belgian?) presentation about

unacceptable levels of radioactivity in a kind of insulation wool spun from

tin slag. Tantalum ores are well known to contain natural radionuclides.

Brazilians have done quite a lot of work on the radioactivity of such ores.

I do not know about the company you mention, but if you really need

information, please contact me off-line. The reason is, that I have retired

on 1 Dec. and all my literature, proceedings, books, etc. are unsorted at my

home right now and it would be difficult to retrieve any specific

literature.

Best regards,

Franz