Re: Information on U and Th in Tin Slag

>From: "Anagnostopoulos, Harry W." <HAROLD.W.ANAGNOSTOPOULOS@saic.com>

>Subject: Information on U and Th in Tin Slag

>Radsafers;

>I'm looking for information on the relative concentrations of Th-232 and

>U-238 in Tin Slag and Columbite-Tantilum ores. An internet search has come

>up blank. There have been several CERCLA actions on C-T ore processing

>facilities that might yeild some information (one might be the Elkem Metals

>Co. in Marietta, OH). Has anyone got access to the data from one of these

>sites?

>Any information or reference sources would be appreciated.

>Thanks in advance,

>- -Harry

>- -----------------------------------------------------------

>Harry Anagnostopoulos, CHP

>Senior Health Physicist

>SAIC

>500 NW Plaza, Suite 1000

>St. Ann, MO  63074

>(314) 770-3059 Phone

>(314) 770-3067 Fax

Harry,

During the literature review undertaken for the preparation of the Radiation

Protection 95 & 107 [1, 1bis] documents for the European Commission, the

following specific activity data were collected for tin ore and tin slag:

- Typical activity concentrations in tin ore and slag in the UK were 1 Bq

g-1 of uranium-238 in both ore and slag, and about 0.3 Bq g-1 and 4 Bq g-1

in ore and slag respectively for the thorium-232 chain.

- The following specific activity data were also gathered for tin slag from

a German publication [2]:

        (Bq/kg)

        Th-232        U-238            Ra-226

[3]    300                                1 100

        230-340                          1 000-1 200

[4]    90-14 700    240-5 400

[1] Reference levels for workplaces processing materials with enhanced

levels of naturally occuring radionuclides - A guide to assist

implementation of Title VII of the European Basic Safety Standards Directive

(BSS) concerning natural radiation sources Luxembourg - 19/07/1999.

[1bis] Establishment of Reference Levels for Regulatory Control of

Workplaces where Materials are Processed which Contain Enhanced Levels of

Naturally-occuring Radionuclides, Radiation Protection 107 Luxembourg

23/08/1999

[2]    Reichelt A., Röhrer J., Lehmann K-H., Anthropogene Stoffe und

Produkte mit natürlichen Radionukliden, Teil 1a, Strahlungseigenschaften von

Roh- und Reststoffen, Literaturrecherche, TÜV Bayern, 1994.

[3]    Umweltradioaktivität, Jahresbericht 1989, Report des Staatlichen

Amtes für Atomsicherheit un Schtrahlenschutz der DDR, SAAS-389, 1978.

[4]  Gilmore J.C., Jackson R.G., Radiological Hazards from Deposits of

Tin-Smelting Slag and the Problems of Site Clearance and Disposal, IRPA 8,

Proceedings, Montreal 17.05-22.05.92, 1992

Hoping it will help, receive my best regards

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Degrange

CEPN, BP 48

92263 Fontenay aux Roses CEDEX