Re: 'Sound Science'? Bush close - see data.

So what do the Doctors for Disaster Preparedness

really do?  Hold meetings and agree that the rest of

the world does not listen to you?  Do you have any

outreach program to local communities?

I noticed that both Teller and Kearny have died

recently.  Who are you going to get to take their

places at future meetings?  May be Bush and Chaney

will be available next year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13994-2004Feb27.html

> ---------------------------

> Beware 'Sound Science.' It's Doublespeak for Trouble

> By Chris Mooney

> Sunday, February 29, 2004; Page B02

> When George W. Bush and members of his

> administration

> talk about environmental policy, the phrase "sound

> science" rarely goes unuttered. On issues ranging

> from

> climate change to the storage of nuclear waste in

> Nevada's Yucca Mountain, our president has assured

> us

> that he's backing up his decisions with careful

> attention to the best available research.

> It's not just Bush: Republican lawmakers in the

> House

> of Representatives, led by Reps. Chris Cannon of

> Utah

> and Jim Gibbons of Nevada, have announced the

> formation of a "Sound Science Caucus" to ramp up the

> role of "empirical" and "peer reviewed" data in laws

> such as the Endangered Species Act. And last August

> the Office of Management and Budget unveiled a

> proposal to amplify the role of "peer review" in the

> evaluation of scientific research conducted by

> federal

> agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency

> (EPA).

> It all sounds noble enough, but the phrases "sound

> science" and "peer review" don't necessarily mean

> what

> you might think. Instead, they're part of a lexicon

> used to put a pro-science veneer on policies that

> most

> of the scientific community itself tends to be up in

> arms about. In this Orwellian vocabulary, "peer

> review" isn't simply an evaluation by learned

=== message truncated ===

=====

"The care of human life and happiness . . . is the first and only legitimate object of good government."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com

Yahoo! Search - Find what you.re looking for faster

http://search.yahoo.com