Re: Article: Beware 'Sound Science.' It's Doublespeak for Trouble

You give the footh fairy project too much credit.  The chain of events leading

to the high flux beam reactor shutdown began with a long term tritium release,

due to a leaking fuel pool, that Brookhaven did not discover or fix for several

years, despite strong indications of a leak, e.g., loss of fuel pool water

beyond what could be accounted for by evaporation.  Forgive me if my memory is

not completely reliable, but I think that, on at least one occasion, Brookhaven

environmental personnel requested funds to monitor groundwater around the

reactor for tritium, but Laboratory management denied the funding for this.

Even though the offsite doses were vitually zero, the public lost trust in the

Laboratory's ability to properly control the technology.  Despite the economic

impact on the community, even the local political leaders wanted it shut down,

which is unusual in these situations.  This is definitely one case where, "We

have met the enemy and he is us."  (Pogo)

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com