Article on gene expression

I received this through another e-mail service and

thought it was interesting.  While it does not

directly discuss radiation, I think that the finding

will have implications for the study of radiation

effects.  Specifically, all genes are not equally

mutated by radiation.  Rather, active genes are at

higher risk of mutation.  Thus, all segments of the

DNA do NOT have the same risk factor for mutation.

The reference to the scientific article is:

H.R. Ueda et al., .Universality and flexibility in

gene expression from bacteria to human,. PNAS,

DOI:10.1073/pnas.0306244101, March 1, 2004.

http://www.pnas.org/

The following article is at

http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040303/01

------------------------

Power law governs gene expression

Proportional dynamics illustrates commonality of gene

expression levels in all organisms

| By Cathy Holding

With an ever-increasing number of genomes available

for analysis, there has been a shift in emphasis away

from the study of single genes and a greater attempt

to understand gene expression at the network or

systems level. A report in the March 1 PNAS shows that

power laws.a universal mathematical dynamic.govern the

process.

Hiroki Ueda and colleagues at the Center for

Developmental Biology describe the mathematical

principle underlying observed levels of gene

expression. They used information from public

databases of whole genome sequences and from their own

microarray analyses. Proportional dynamics, also known

as .rich-travel-more,. showed that power law levels of

gene expression were observed not only in different

organisms, but also within discrete organs or at

specific developmental times in the same organism

(PNAS, DOI:10.1073/pnas.0306244101, March 1, 2004).

The team examined how genes change their expression in

different conditions and observed that highly

expressed genes change more, while genes expressed

infrequently change less. .It's proportional; the

magnitude of change[s] are proportional to their

expression levels,. said Ueda. .I also found [that]

proportional dynamics can reproduce the complex

pattern of distribution in gene expression

levels.called power law distribution..

Ueda said he was surprised to find Escherichia coli

and humans are governed by the same simple mechanism.

.I am glad to have found a simple and universal

mechanism that exists in all systems of life,. he told

The Scientist.

Plotting the distribution of different gene expression

levels against the expression hierarchy of those genes

results in a straight line. .I unexpectedly found that

distribution[s] of gene expression were heterogeneous

and governed by the power law of minus 2 exponent,. he

told The Scientist in an E-mail.

Yutaka Suzuki, research scientist at the Institute of

Medical Science Human Genome Center explained, .In

every case, you can see the straight line in the

scattering plot. The basic concept is that such a kind

of law is conserved between cell types and organisms

in many kinds of context..

Suzuki, who was not involved in the study, explained

that it is the ratio of minus 2 that is conserved.

.That's the universal observation, that's the point of

this manuscript,. he said.

Lada Adamic, a power law expert in the Information

Dynamics Laboratory at Hewlett-Packard, told The

Scientist that although she was not a biologist, she

would almost expect this observation because these

distributions are extremely common. .As long as you

have like a multiplicative process.which is what this

is, this proportional process.you're going to end up

with a distribution like that,. she said.

Adamic, who was not involved in the study, said that

the same distribution was actually observed by Yule in

1913 when he was looking at the abundance of species

in different genera. .So that's kind of like a

biological thing,. she said. .The problem with power

laws is that people keep kind of rediscovering them..

.I myself have heard that this behavior of a system is

very universal, [but] this is the first groundwork for

this kind of analysis as I believe it. For biological

systems, this is a first, so in that sense at least I

think this is significant,. Suzuki said.

Ueda said that in the future, statistical analysis

utilizing this .proportional. dynamics would be useful

for the analysis of microarray data in any organism.

.Statistical analysis based on .proportional. dynamics

can be applied to the search for the significantly

changed genes in two conditions,. he said in an

E-mail. .We are preparing the manuscript on this type

of application..

=====

"The care of human life and happiness . . . is the first and only legitimate object of good government."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com

Yahoo! Search - Find what you.re looking for faster

http://search.yahoo.com