Many more Roger D. Caldwell papers now on the web

RADSAFERs,

Through the kindness of Thomas E. Potter, I have received 9 more papers

authored or co-authored by Roger D. Caldwell from the late 1960s and

early 1970s. These cover so many aspects of health physics it's mind

boggling that one guy could do all this. Roger did environmental air and

water sampling (he showed that 99% of the uranium in the Kiskiminetas

River was due to acid drainage from coal mines), emergency preparedness

and response, calibration of neutron sources, correlations of bioassay

with air sampling, particle solubility, in vivo counting, waste

management, and determining how to correct film badge dosimeters for

response to plutonium x- and gamma radiation (dose reconstructors, take

note!).

The new stuff, along with his Elda Anderson Award citation (I believe by

Dade Moeller, although it is not attributed) and some recollections from

Tom Potter, is at the bottom of the page:

http://bidug.pnl.gov/reading.htm.

If you read nothing else, enjoy the chatty coal mine drainage paper

http://bidug.pnl.gov/references/Caldwell1968A_Coal_Mine_Drainage.pdf. If

you're into air sampling and environmental dispersion, look at the

innovative thinking in

http://bidug.pnl.gov/references/Caldwell1967_Environmental_Monitoring_Ur

anium_Plant.pdf. Environmental standards are much tighter today, but

they were learning about dispersion and truly believed that they were

within the air concentration limits for unrestricted release, the claims

of the local paper

(http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleynewsdispatch/buriedlegacy/s_88353

.html ) notwithstanding.

The only thing new under the sun is the history we've forgotten.

Note: While PNNL has agreed to host this web site, scanning and posting

of these papers has been done on my own time, motivated by respect for

the opus of the awesome Renaissance HP, Roger Caldwell. The fact that

little of this was published in the peer-reviewed literature is due to

the fact that NUMEC was an industrial setting, not a university or

national laboratory.

- Dan Strom

The opinions expressed above, if any, are mine alone and have not been

reviewed or approved by Battelle, the Pacific Northwest National

Laboratory, or the U.S. Department of Energy.

Daniel J. Strom, Ph.D., CHP

Environmental Technology Directorate, Pacific Northwest National

Laboratory

Mail Stop K3-56, PO BOX 999, Richland, Washington 99352-0999 USA

Overnight: Battelle for the U.S. DOE, 790 6th St., Richland WA 99352

ATTN: Dan Strom K3-56

Telephone (509) 375-2626 FAX (509) 375-2019 mailto:strom@pnl.gov

Brief Resume: http://www.pnl.gov/bayesian/strom/strombio.htm

Pagemaster for  http://www.pnl.gov/bayesian   http://qecc.pnl.gov