RE: Errors in NRC TMI Factsheet

On 9 Mar 2004 at 10:24, Doug Aitken wrote:

> So in this instance, I am afraid that the honest answer would be "Yes,

> we got lucky. But we understand what happened and can incorporate this

> into future design to improve overall safety."

I agree with Doug,

Lessons Learned from the accident showed that we were "lucky". The

response to the accident demonstrated the need for better

communication, better procedures, better training and a better

understanding of the very systems that individuals operated.

At TMI there were no real significant adverse effects, other than

emotional stress (which is still not desired), but no major health

implications or damage to the environment, due to human factor

failure, where workers simply did not believe their instrumentation,

and did everything they could to circumvent what the safety systems

were trying to accomplish. Chernobyl was quite different. There

humans did everything to cause a major disaster, knowingly

circumventing every safety procedure.

The two accidents were quite a different animal.

------------------------------------

Sandy Perle

Vice President, Technical Operations

Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.

3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sperle@globaldosimetry.com

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/