RE: Luck and analysis

Jim Dukelow wrote:

-----Original Message-----

From:	Dukelow, James S Jr

Sent:	Tue 3/9/2004 10:44 PM

To:	HP Dean; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject:	RE: Luck and analysis

   <snip>

The "hyrdrogen bubble" and the "hydrogen explosion" scenario were the fantasy of Commissioner Joseph Hendrie, who had excellent scientific credentials and should have known better.  It was eventually scotched by an NRC staff engineer, whose name escapes me at the moment, but who was sent up to the site to settle everyone down and did.  I don't remember who appointed Hendrie -- it might have been Reagan.

The TMI reactor scramed early on and the core damage was due to failure to remove decay heat.

William Morris emailed me to kindly remind me that TMI predated the Reagan administration.  What I should have written was "I don't remember who appointed Hendrie -- it might have been Ford or Nixon."

BUT, along the same lines, Douglas Barrata emailed me, also kindly, to say that Carter appointed Hendrie.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.