Re: Screening Techniques: Goiania

Dear Dr. Carol Marcus,

Please find the answer of your questions in the two following IAEA documents available to download.

Due restriction of the Radsafe List, by separate e-mail I sent 7 pictures showing phases of screening and the main equipment used. It was scintillometer detector type Saphymo-SRAT S.P.P.2 NF,  1x1.5 inch, NaI(Tl) scintillation crystal and the operational range for gamma radiation is 0.02 to 30 µSv/h. The instrument has a built in audible alarm that gives a high signal.  The unit of measurements used by the SRAT is cps. The size of the instrument is 32x13x12 cm and the weight, 3.6 kg. This is the same type of  detector used in the IAEA's Georgia Mission more than 10 years after Goiania, compare the pictures in Goiania and Georgia. We have used this kind of equipment during many years to uranium prospecting in Brazil.

DOSIMETRIC AND MEDICAL ASPECTS OF THE RADIOLOGICAL ACCIDENT IN GOIANIA IAEA TECDOC-1009 IAEA  1998

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1009_prn.pdf

THE RADIOLOGICAL ACCIDENT IN GOIANIA

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub0815_web.pdf

Look also the following  papers at the Health Physics 60(1) 1991 - Special Issue The Goiania Radiation Accident:

1. Brandao-Mello, C.E., Oliveira, A.R., Valverde, N.J., Farina, R., Cordeiro, J.M.  Clinical and hematological aspects of  137 Cs: the Goiānia radiation accident.  1991 Health Phys 60(1): 31-39.

2. Lipsztein, J.L., Bertelli, L., Melo, D.R., Azeredo, A.M., Juliao,L., Santos, M.S.  Application of in-vitro bioassay for  137 Cs during the emergency phase of the Goiānia accident.   1991 Health Phys 60(1):43-49.

3. Lipsztein, J.L., Bertelli, L., Oliveira, C.A., Dantas, B.M.  Studies of Cs retention in the human body related to body parameters and Prussian Blue administration.  1991 Health Phys 60(1): 57-61.

4. Farina, R., Brandao-Mello, C.E., Oliveira, A.R.  Medical Aspects of  137 Cs decorporation: the Goiānia radiological accident.  Health Phys 60(1): 63-66, 1991.

5. Melo, D.R., Lipsztein, J.L., de Oliveira, C.A., Bertelli, L.    137 Cs internal contamination involving a Brazilian accident, and the efficacy of Prussian Blue treatment.  1994 Health Phys 66(3): 245-252.

Dear colleagues, now considering  Dr. Carol's topic, how could be the initial response in Madrid if with the explosives it was also added a source with the activity in Goiania?

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel