Re: Jury Awards Butter-Flavor Worker $20M

I am not sure what is meant by "similarities faced by the nuclear industry."  Diacetyl should most certainly be handled either in a hood or by someone wearing a respirator, if a large quantity is handled and/or exposure is every day for 8 hours or so ("the dose makes the poison").  Cases of industries cutting corners at the expense of worker exposure are legion, but it seems to me that NRC oversight has made the nuclear industry much better in this respect than many industries.  I am appalled that the flavoring oil factory did not require respirators until 2001.  OSHA was enacted in 1970.

ruth

--

Ruth F. Weiner

ruthweiner@aol.com